I have settled a bit here..It was really nice that the company found a so called 'serviced apartment' for me even prior to me coming to London.. It is actually quite a nice one bedroom apartment in this nice lil neighbourhood called Chiswick (pronounced Chis-ick). It s said to be the next Notting Hill in the making.. :)
It is quite nice with a small park and nice church buildings and loads of nice restaurants around...they have vast variety of food to choose from..ranging from simple sandwiches to fine dining... they have chinese, armenian, indian, thai, greek, italian...blah blah..(u know some sort of like how Bangsar is)..
There is a Sainsbury superstore nearby and the tube station, Chiswick Park (District Line) is about 10 minutes from where I live. However, walking to work takes longer, about 30 minutes if I walk briskly and 4o to 45 minutes, if I take a stroll...There is a bus that actually takes me close to the tube station of which then I will walk only 10 minutes to back home..but well, waiting for a bus sometimes takes longer than the 40 minutes walk home..
There was a day that I waited for 40 minutes for a bus in the cold! To top it, I did not alight at the right station and ended up in another town called Hammersmith which is about 15 minutes away by bus from Chiswick. I have to wait another 20 minutes in Hammersmith to get a bus back to Chiswick..so, i took like 1.5 hours or so to get home that day...:) But, well, it is part and parcel of getting used to a new place I should think..Sometimes, getting lost in a new place is kind of fun..
I will be getting a broadband at home..still in the process of processing it..so can write even more then..I only managed to set up a bank account yesterday..took me 1 hour sitting with the officer to get tonnes of paper work done up...you would think that it would be more efficient here...Come on! Get real, people here live in old victorian type of houses...what do you think? U get the drift?! I can only but say that well, there are pros and cons to everything..to put it more diplomatically.
I quite like the 40 minutes walk each way to work and back, which means that each day, I spend 80 minutes walking... :) But I am still looking for a gym though..cos I am not sweating albeit that I take long walks..
From Chiswick to Oxford Circus (the central of London, where all the shopping places are) takes about maybe 30 minutes or so taking into consideration all the tube changes that one have to make via the different tubes they have here. I would think that it would also probably take 30 minutes from Chiswick to Westminster (no need to change tube line).
Anyway, anyhow, I am still contemplating whether to move into town and commute to work, or to stay where I am and well commute into Central only on weekends.. Chiswick is indeed a very nice place but very family oriented and hence very quiet at night, Central may have more things to do even on weekdays and I probably don't have to worry walking on a lonely street at 10 pm at night cos the town is just full of life! Well, let me think for a while still then....Also, by moving to town, I will be able to upgrade my apartment to 2 bedrooms, which will be potentially beneficial for others who plans to visit me at one point or another..
Well, more updates and photos later..
My camera gave up on me...I got it sent to the Camera Clinic here..
What a time to get sick huh?? Poor camera... :)
Wednesday, May 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The Brits don't know how to run public transport!!! You should introduce them to Metrobus. Then you'll be in office in 15 minutes (but only if the road shoulders are wide enough for the bus to run over).
Post a Comment