Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Somewhat Offended

I don't know whether should I be screaming my lungs off or should I just laugh it off as a matter of pure ignorance. This is the scenario, this took place in a group meeting held at work:

Dick: I attended the project's meeting today and it has been brought to the attention of the engineers that to celebrate the end of this phase of the project, the management has decided to take us out to the pub for celebration; beer, wine and some pub grubs. I have however flag out that this may not be the best option as there are 2 of our colleagues who are Muslims and they don't drink.

Me: uhmm....sorry Dick, but there is only one Muslim in the group.

Dick:Oh, you mean Aziz (not his real name, but he has a Malay name with bin something) is not Muslim?

Me: %^$#@@%^&%$ (in my heart I am swearing at Dick for being such a jerk and also may I also say; such a xxxxhead)

Me (fuming mad) : NO, DICK (notice the CAPS, I am trying not to scream) I am not Muslim. I am Chinese. (although that statement is also political not correct as they are Chinese who are also Muslims).

Another colleague added: Hmmm...I thought so that the name Chloe doesn't sound Muslim from the start (also another ignorant being, but I think he has more sense than Dick).

Dick: I beg your pardon; I thought you are Muslim as you never drank a single alcohol from all our pub experience during lunches. (Note: my Muslim and Italian colleagues doesn't drink as well so why pick on me, what more I am the only lady in the team! Arghhhhh...)

Me: (in my head I am saying this: I don't drink during lunch because I still want to work in the afternoons!! Such an idiot!). I just kept quiet with my lips pursed tight as I am trying not to scream and be rude.

I noticed that the older generation of English really hasn't much knowledge of where Malaysia is. Or where anywhere is besides Europe!

If I speak to a young English person, they will either tell me that Redang is a nice place, or Penang, or they will tell me that the French man tried to climb Petronas twin tower again or they have been to Singapore (this shows that they have an idea where I came from).

When I speak to an older person, they still call Malaysia, Malaya, and some associate where I come from as China, or Japan or somewhere within that region (not knowing that actually Malaysia is really not that far east).

But thinking that I am a Muslim; well this is a first. Although I shouldn't be offended with that comment; but somehow I am; especially since the risk of terrorism is fresh in all these people's mind.

Tell me, would you be offended if you were in my shoes? Arghhhhhhhhh....

5 comments:

yltan said...

erm..were you offended because you were considered a muslim or because they didnt know where malaysia is?

Anyways, if personally i am in your position, erm..i wouldnt get offended loh...

Its what you think thats important and not how people see you loh..

i however do not have this thing coz i have previous colleague who worked here and most know where malaysia is.. hopefully... hehehhe

yltan said...

oh yah.. eh you going on anymore holidays ah???

Anonymous said...

yes i've had older british say Malaya instead of Malaysia but I make it a point to emphasis "MALAYSIA" immediately and leave it to them if they decide to be embarassed or not (I don't think they care, actually)

CH said...

YL: Nah..i am not offended anymore..long forgotten after a night of sleep. I wasnt really really offended, just somewhat offended. But I am just dumbfounded with their naivety. And YES, HOLIDAY QUEEN strikes back again...soon...a trip for August, Cornwall(Italy,perhaps) and October (Egypt) and Nov (Vietnam).

CW: U hit the nail right on the head with your comment.

Nic: NO, they are MEN, I dont think they care about anything, really...juz perhaps beer and football..

HL said...

Dick has astoundingly low levels of cultural awareness. Can you check if he has a coconut shell hanging over him?